The Sydney to Surfers Robbo’s Ride over 7 days and 1000km is an initiative of the Rotary Club of Engadine and since its inception has raised $2.85 million in support of the Father Chris Riley’s Youth Off The Streets which is the major beneficiary.
Each year riders who raise over $1500 gets a chance to win a car donated by Macsim Fastening Systems and this year’s winner Clive Hughes. Clive not only raised well over $1500, but on hearing he had won the car made an extra generous donation of further $8000 to Youth off the Streets.
Clive presents a donation of $8,000 to Youth Off The Streets representative Lou Single.
Clive said how thrilled he was to pick up that brand new Toyota on the weekend.
He still can’t believe he won it, and all because he was one of 140 odd people who took part in what Clive considers one of the most enjoyable charity events being run in Australia
The reasons Clive gave for stating that it is one of the most enjoyable charity events are because:
- It is so well organised
- It is all so well done, from planning to daily execution and support (I love the excuse I have to eat honey and peanut butter sandwiches at morning tea without guilt!)
- It is so much fun
- You don’t feel under dreadful pressure to perform on the ride unless you want to.
- You can either join Pack 1, and delude yourself you are training for the Tour de France, or go in one of the other packs and chat away to septuagenarians with baskets on their bike, who have done the ride for the last decade.
- The route of the ride goes through some of NSW most beautiful countryside which I love to see.
- It is wonderful how the weather gets warmer each day as you make your way to Queensland – so you can actually feel your progress during the week.
- Everyone is in such a great mood, it is such a terrific environment to spend a week.
- And, it’s so nice to be a kid again, talk rubbish for 7 days, eat too much, and just forget about work, mortgages, and the other demands on everyday life.
- It is such a great cause
- we all find it incredibly inspiring to talking to the kids from YOTS who do the ride with us – it is so good to see how our sponsorship is being used.
- The $2.85 million raised to date is an incredible achievement we can all feel proud of being part of.
Fraser Mackay-Sim presents the car to winner, Clive Hughes.
You can join Clive on the Sydney to Surfers Robbo’s Ride which commences in Hornsby on 29 April 2017 and finishes 7 days and 1000km later with a gala dinner at Sea World at Surfers Paradise. You can start training knowing not only will you have a lot fun but every kilometre you ride will help Father Chris Riley’s Youth off the Streets program.
Imagine the bragging rights when you tell your friends that you rode 1000km from Sydney to Surfers.